2017-05 May

Pocket Repairs

Just a quick aside before the next make – the pockets in my favourite pair of jeans had worn through and I’d already repaired them a couple of times just for them to wear through again; so I decided to replace them.  I used the material I’d used for the Toile for the waterfall front coat as it was a linen type weave and used french seams around the outside for strength – was very happy with the Result, although two weeks later the seat gave out completely and I had to scrap them!  Ah well…..

Jeans

 

MAKE 10 – Ladies Dress

  • Pattern – Cotton and Chalk 01 – The Rosie Dress
  • Materials – Satin Print Fabric – Japanese Rose (polyester)
  • Notions – 56cm zip

Pattern 1

My flatmate was looking for a dress and found this pattern which she really liked.   We went out and found some fabulous rose fabric to make it up in.

This was the first time that I properly attempted women’s wear and it wasn’t an unqualified success.

Dress 1

The pattern was relatively easy to cut and follow and I got the the bodice together pretty quickly.

I should have know better and made a Toile first!

At this point however I trusted in 2 things:

  1. The Pattern Sizing
  2. The Size my flatmate asked for

I wasn’t aware that pattern sizes (like shop clothes) depend on the demographic that they are trying to sell their products to.  I have since learnt that there really is no such thing as a ‘standard size’.  A size 12 in a shop that caters mainly for 18-26 year olds is going to be completely different to a size 12 in a shop that caters for an older clientele.   I could go on and on about this, but I think I’ll post something separate.

Anyway – at this point I should have got my flatmate to try it on and pinned to check for fit – I didn’t.

Dress 3

I had gathered the skirt, attached it and inserted a zip.  This isn’t an invisible zip – (they are constructed differently), but it is a concealed zip as you can’t see it when the dress is being worn.  (Yes, I know that you can see the zip pull!)

I was pretty pleased with the results – it looked great on the mannequin (I had omitted the elastic from the sleeves – flat mate preferred the line of the sleeve without)

Dress 2

Unfortunately when my flatmate tried it on – the neckline was very loose and sat proud across the top of the bust.   To fix it, I had to take a very large (inverted dart) from the bottom of the waist band (apex of the dart) to the neck where at least 4 inches was taken out.    This made the dress fit a lot better, but still with a little bit of gapping.

If I had known then what I know now, I would have measured my flatmate and transferred these measurements to the pattern – adding in darts as necessary etc.  I’ll create a separate post about measurements and adjusting patterns.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s